Tabbie Tale Series is about the adventures of a family of cats. The books are “How the Wellswood Cat Came to Be”, “Jeb Joins the Circus”, “Captain Jeb, Pirate Cat”, and “The Big Meow”. The book collection is growing. The books are translated into Spanish!!!
New Book!!! “Queen of the Limberlost: The Gene Stratton Porter Story (as told by her animals)”, a primary full-colored biography of a Hoosier female author/naturalist/painter/photographer.
Mastering the Art of Demand Writing: The Case of
the Backyard Mystery”
by Dr. Meg G.DeMakas
ISBN # 978-1-160901373
• The portfolio is composed of 9 writing activities culminating with an autobiography, a timed writing genre.
• Great experience for beginning writers of all ages to relate their life to their writing. The heritage writing project is included for advanced writers.
• Excellent writing improvement project for students who are home schooled !
• When students complete this learning activity, they are better prepared for state standardized writing assessments as well as informal writing assignments.
• When entire schools participate in this professional development project becomes a ‘no-fault’ vehicle for the faculty can compare and improve student progress.
• During the seminar the teachers as life long learners complete portfolios themselves, improving their writing ability.
• The portfolio project is a great writers’ workshop activity, since it gives students practice with the six plus one descriptors of writing: ideas, organization, sentence fluency, word choice, voice, and holistically, or writing as a whole piece.
• Mini-lessons and conferencing are modeled in the professional development session.
• The series of seminars is recommended to allow teachers time and advanced training as the project is implemented in the classrooms.
• Dr. DeMakas is available to model lessons in classrooms on request.
Introductory Price is $8.00 per student (plus shipping and handling), Buyer has permission to make copies of student activities for own classroom.
Here are some activities in the portfolio designed to spark interest in learning about writing!
• · ‘Who Am I?’ Poster
• · Family Friendly Tree
• · Family Hero Haiku
• · Storyboard of My Life
• My Life and Times
(…just to name a few of the selections.)
Reflective Teaching, Incorporated will provide a series of professional development seminars to support the success of the writing portfolio project. These interactive, consecutive workshops are excellent for teachers or businesses to improve the level of writing ability.
(See Services Page for Seminar Prices.)
Mr. George Letz, Superintendent of MSD of Boone Grove Township School Corporation, likes the versatility of the writing portfolio project. “It is a wonderful way for the teachers to learn techniques to improve their students’ writing levels!
Ms. Eugenia Sacopolus, Grant/Project Manager at Ivy Tech in Gary, Indiana, comments, “Dr. Renslow packs lots of theory in with her practical lessons. Teachers and students alike catch the writing bug when Meg Renslow challenges them to learn!”
Mrs. Jackie Zambo, 1st Grade Teacher at Irving Elementary in Hammond, Indiana, shares the writing portfolio with student teachers each year. She says enthusiastically, “Dr. Renslow puts everything together in her writing portfolio! My students definitely make writing progress when they do the lessons in ‘The Case of the Backyard Mystery Writing Portfolio’!”
You can view a gallery of my illustrations on the following website.
I created an educational nonprofit, Family Folklore Foundation, Inc., whose mission is to have people of all ages learn about the world, then in turn, share their new understandings with the greater public. This year our learning quest is storytelling. This 501C3 experience has polished my writing skills in playwriting, press releases, web design and blogging on http://www.famfolkfound.org and our Facebook page.